Smart Growth America (SGA) is a national nonprofit that empowers communities through technical assistance, advocacy, and thought leadership to create livable places, healthy people, and shared prosperity. Smart Growth America’s LOCUS platform is a national coalition of real estate developers and investors who advocate for sustainable, equitable, walkable development in America’s metropolitan areas.
The LOCUS MA Policy & Communications Fellow (Fall/Winter 2019) will be a member of Smart Growth America’s (SGA) LOCUS team, reporting to the Director of LOCUS MA, and is expected to contribute to a collaborative team environment. This position works closely with the staff to help advance SGA’s role in thought leadership, advocacy, and technical assistance. Specifically, the LOCUS MA Policy & Communications Fellow works to support SGA’s goals of promoting smarter land-use and development policies across New England communities and is based in Boston, MA.
- Writing and publishing original content for the LOCUS blog;
- Directing social media campaigns on behalf of LOCUS;
- Tracking and analyzing news about smart growth and transportation issues;
- Conducting research analysis on smart growth tools to inform policy development;
- Drafting legislative summaries for network members, drafting advocacy materials on core network issues;
- Design flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing material for events hosted by LOCUS;
- Tracking social media and web analytics;
- Promoting our work to reporters and bloggers; and
- Providing project-specific communications ideas and strategy.
- Serves as an ambassador for the team and Smart Growth America.
- Strong interest in smart growth or related areas; background in Public Policy or Urban Planning preferred.
- Excellent research, writing, oral communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience using GIS and Adobe Suite; Statistical analysis (STATA, R, etc.) preferred.
- Basic understanding of HTML or experience using content management systems preferred (WordPress)
- Interest in contributing to communications and policy strategy;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Basic knowledge of the MA legislative process; experience working with lawmakers preferred.
Bachelor’s degree or higher.
This fellowship is a paid position; compensation will be in the form of a stipend in the amount of $2,000 per month; benefits (health, dental 401k) are not included.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, and two short writing samples (no more than five pages each) to Elijah Plymesser, eplymesser [at] locusdevelopers [dot] org. Please include “LOCUS MA Communications and Policy Fellow” in the email subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. In your cover letter, please indicate how you learned of this opportunity. Applications will be accepted immediately on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
This position is located in downtown Boston, MA
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/ preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law. Smart Growth America is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.