(Cross-posted from Smart Growth America.)
A recent poll by Smart Growth America has found that in the midst of a struggling U.S. economy, support for smart growth strategies remains high among Americans across the country and on both sides of the political aisle.
The poll focused specifically on support for sustainable communities: urban, suburban or rural communities that have more housing and transportation choices, are closer to jobs, shops or schools, are more energy independent and help protect clean air and water. Making communities more sustainable means generating more jobs, lowering housing and transportation costs and using limited public funds more wisely.
Among the poll’s major findings:
- Most Americans – regardless of political affiliation – support sustainable communities.
- Most Americans believe their region needs more sustainable communities.
- Most Americans believe that sustainable communities are an important part of rebuilding the national economy.
- Most Americans agree about a number of problems facing our country, including our dependence on oil, the high cost of housing and transportation, the troubles facing our economy and spending existing federal funds more wisely. Smart growth solutions help address all of these issues.
- Americans overwhelmingly support the guiding principles of the federal Partnership for Sustainable Communities.
Click here to download “Building for the 21st Century: American support for sustainable communities”: