Smart Growth America is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as our finance and administrative associate.
Smart Growth America (SGA) is a national nonprofit that empowers communities through technical assistance, advocacy, and thought leadership to create livable places, healthy people, and shared prosperity. From our office in downtown Washington D.C., we work with organizations and communities across the country to realize our vision: no matter where you live or who you are, you can enjoy living in a place that is healthy, prosperous, and resilient.
Finance and administration team
SGA’s small Finance and Administration Team provides all the different types of support required to make this work possible. We seek a dynamic, organized, flexible individual to help out with a wide variety of the services we provide the organization, including bookkeeping, grants management, contract administration, business filings, human resources administration, office management, and other tasks as required.
The Finance and Administration Associate will report to and work closely with SGA’s Director of Finance and Administration, helping to perform the full range of financial and administrative tasks required to support a non-profit organization with about 35 employees. The successful candidate will become a critical resource for the organization, interacting directly and providing appropriate information and assistance to all other employees.
In addition to regularly performing tasks in compliance with existing procedures, the Associate will help develop new procedures that incorporate appropriate risk controls, take advantage of new technologies, and reduce effort and other resources. Not everything we will need to do has been done here before, so part of the Associate’s job may include figuring things out.
We are looking for a Swiss-army-knife type of professional – someone who enjoys being able to master a variety of different jobs and is comfortable switching between different tasks throughout the day while ensuring that the highest priority jobs are delivered as promised.
This is a permanent, full-time position located in downtown Washington D.C.
On a regular basis, the finance and administration associate will be responsible for:
- Conducting the organization’s Accounts Payable workflow, including securing approvals and signatures, performing data entry, and maintaining vendor records;
- Coordinating the organization’s Accounts Receivable workflow, including working with project managers to ensure accurate and timely billing and recording of all invoices;
- Managing the organization’s expense reporting workflow, including ensuring compliance with credit card purchase and reporting requirements;
- Training new employees to use the organization’s systems, including timecard software, expense reporting software, and voicemail;
- Maintaining personnel files and managing and refining the new hire onboarding process;
- Manage office equipment and systems, including relationships with service providers and vendors.
Occasionally, the finance and administration associate will be responsible for:
- Providing event planning and logistical support for meetings SGA is hosting;
- Compiling electronic copies of receipts for project invoicing and reporting;
- Providing project managers with financial information to support proposals, financial reporting, and budget tracking;
- Updating vendor and customer records in the organization’s accounting system;
- Supporting implementation and maintenance of the organization’s CRM (customer resource management) software.
Required skills and experience
- Extensive experience using office software including spreadsheet and word processing programs;
- Attention to detail;
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Experience with Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll workflows;
- Familiarity with different types of office equipment and experience supporting other users by providing training or determining when a service call is required;
- Experience setting up and maintaining electronic and paper filing systems;
- Understanding of basic human resource administrative requirements, including need for and ability to maintain security and confidentiality of employee information;
- Ability to perform multiple assignments concurrently and work efficiently under minimal supervision;
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing with a variety of audiences;
- Customer service mindset;
- Dynamic interpersonal skills to work directly with other staff, senior leaders, and external partners;
- Reliable attendance and impeccable honesty;
- Ability to research and learn new tasks as required.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL
- Experience using expense tracking software such as Concur;
- Experience using HR management and/or payroll software such as Paychex;
- Experience managing Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable workflows;
- Experience administering federal grants and contracts;
- Experience in a non-profit organization with a budget between $4 million and $8 million.
A qualified candidate will have an associate’s degree in a related field, 2-3 years experience working in an office environment and an explicit career trajectory in accounting, human resources, or office management.
Salary range for this position is between $43,000 and $50,000, commensurate with experience and education. SGA provides its full-time employees with benefits including a generous employer-paid health insurance plan, 401(k), and paid vacation and sick leave.
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected], with “SGA Finance and Administrative Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate how you learned of this opportunity.
Applications will be accepted immediately on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
This position is located in downtown Washington D.C.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/ preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Smart Growth America is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.