LOCUS: Responsible Real Estate Developers and Investors is seeking a talented and motivated individual to organize smart growth real estate developers in Massachusetts.
In 2011, LOCUS undertook a major regional organizing effort to expand LOCUS’ membership in order advance smart growth policies at the state and regional levels, including Massachusetts. The Massachusetts Outreach Manager will play a key role in building LOCUS’ membership in the Commonwealth; mobilizing members; and engaging in state and local policy debates to support the development of sustainable, walkable places.
Other responsibilities include:
- Growing and managing a network of real estate developers and investors in Massachusetts;
- Working with the LOCUS National team to engage local real estate developers in identifying advocacy issues for the state;
- Organizing networking and recruiting events, press conferences and meetings with elected officials;
- Developing materials to engage members in advocacy and media efforts; and
- Successfully communicating LOCUS Massachusetts’s organizing plan as well as policy issues to new and prospective members.
The ideal candidate for this position is a self-motivated and detail-oriented person with excellent communication, writing, research and organizing skills and will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- At least two (2) years of organizing experience, preferably in a national nonprofit organization or political and/or issue advocacy campaigns
- Expertise in community organizing strategy and tactics, as well as, non-partisan issue based organizing; specific skills should include grass-tops and grassroots activism
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to operate confidentially
- Exemplary time management skills; ability to work under pressure and meet urgent deadlines with compromising the quality of the finished product
- Ability to prioritize assignments and demonstrate a high degree of initiative
- A working understanding of Smart Growth America and LOCUS structure, policy, procedures and goals
- Flexibility to work beyond regular core business hours as needed
Additional skills include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with grasstops – leaders in the private sector, elected officials and directors of community organizations
- Experience with advocacy, at either the federal or state levels, to secure policy changes
- Familiarity with real estate, transportation and land use policies in Massachusetts
- Capacity and willingness to travel frequently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Compensation and Location
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The Massachusetts State Organizer will be based in Boston, working under the direction of the LOCUS Managing Director.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter summarizing your relevant skills and experience, and a short writing sample to locus [at] smartgrowthamerica [dot] org with “LOCUS Outreach Manager – Massachusetts” in the subject line. Questions may also be directed to the same e-mail address. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled and early submissions are strongly encouraged.