Smart Growth America seeks a Policy/Communications Fellow to support LOCUS, a national network of smart growth real estate developers and investors. The intern will be a core member of the LOCUS team and provide direct support to the LOCUS network of real estate developers and investors advocating for smart growth policies at the federal and regional levels. The ideal Policy/Communications Fellow is an excellent writer tapped into news about national politics and smart growth development who can create engaging content for our members, email lists, and social media networks. Applicants should be dependable team players who can perform regular duties while also offering new ideas for how to make our work even better. This position is located at LOCUS Massachusetts’ offices in Boston; familiarity with Massachusetts’ Real Estate development environment is a valuable asset.
The Fellow’s primary responsibilities include:
- Writing and publishing original content for the LOCUS blog.
- Directing social media campaigns on behalf of LOCUS.
- Tracking and analyzing news about smart growth and transportation issues.
- Conducting research analysis on smart growth tools to inform policy development.
- Drafting legislative summaries for network members, drafting advocacy materials on core network issues.
- Design flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing material for events hosted by LOCUS.
- Tracking social media and web analytics.
- Promoting our work to reporters and bloggers.
- Providing project-specific communications ideas and strategy.
- Strong interest in smart growth or related areas; background in Public Policy or Urban Planning preferred.
- Excellent research, writing, oral communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience using GIS and Adobe Suite; Statistical analysis (STATA, R, etc.) preferred.
- Basic understanding of HTML or experience using content management systems preferred (WordPress).
- Interest in contributing to communications and policy strategy.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Basic knowledge of the MA legislative process; experience working with lawmakers preferred.
This fellowship is a paid position; compensation will be in the form of a stipend in the amount of $2,000 per month; benefits (health, dental 401k) are not included.
Timeframe and location
This position is full-time, 40 hours a week. Minimum commitment of six months preferred, though Summer-only (Jun-Aug) applicants will be considered. This position is located at LOCUS Massachusetts’ offices in Boston. Candidate must be able to start by June 30, 2019.
Equal opportunity employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, and two short writing samples (no more than five pages each) to eplymesser [at] locusdevelopers [dot] org. Please include “LOCUS MA Communications and Policy Fellow” in the email subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The position is available for a early-summer start. No calls please.