Smart Growth America is looking for a Vice President of Finance and Administration with 10+ years of experience to provide day-to-day management of all financial, accounting, and audit functions of the organization. The role will also oversee operations, human resources, and information technology. This position creates, in collaboration with the CEO, the overall financial strategy for the organization and provides strategic recommendations to the CEO, top executives, and the Board of Directors. To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to Erica Raphael, Sr. Consultant, [email protected].
Smart Growth America is a leading national non-profit organization advocating for equitable, sustainable land use, development, and transportation. We empower communities through technical assistance, advocacy, and thought leadership to realize this vision of livable places, healthy people, and shared prosperity. Programmatic priorities for SGA include advancing racial equity, addressing the climate crisis, and improving the health of communities.
About the Role
Reporting to the CEO, the VP, Finance and Administration will provide day-to-day management of all financial, accounting, and audit functions of the organization. The role will also oversee operations, human resources, and information technology. This position creates, in collaboration with the CEO, the overall financial strategy for the organization and provides strategic recommendations to the CEO, to top executives, and the Board of Directors. The VP will collaborate closely with the CEO and the Board to ensure that the financial operations of SGA follow nonprofit best practices and are fully compliant. The VP is a member of the senior management team, acting as an internal resource and advisor. The VP will support the CEO and Board in developing financial and operations strategies, priorities, and tactics that support the execution of SGA’s overall strategy.
This role acts as a strong advisor with high-quality internal customer service to leadership and colleagues and support of key stakeholder relationships. The VP will provide the leadership and hands-on management to ensure the organization maximizes financial results and performance, effectively budgets and forecasts cash flows, and is compliant with generally accepted accounting principles(GAAP) and all funder requirements. The position will also focus on sound financial management and controls, efficient and cost-effective financial operations, policies, procedures, processes, and performance.
The role oversees the finance and operations team including the Sr. Accountant, Grants and Contracts Manager, Office Manager, and contracted vendors and consultants.
- Oversees and provides day-to-day management of the organization to ensure its financial health and recommends and executes overall financial strategy. Ensures that SGA continues to operate in accordance with non-profit accounting and financial management best practices.
- Designs and leads the process for monthly, quarterly, annual, and multi-year financial forecasting and tracking, including cash flow projections and analysis. Leads annual budget development and effectively deploys financial resources across the organization. Proactively advises senior executives and staff.
- Effectively collaborates with and advises CEO and staff to develop achievable budgets and plans that meet the financial goals of the organization. Guides CEO and staff in developing budgets for key organization funders, grants, and proposals.
- Spearheads development and implementation of financial systems and processes to ensure that SGA’s financial operations, tools, and staffing support effective financial management.
- Directs the finance team’s management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization (monthly, quarterly, annual, funder required, etc.).
- Reports financial results and key metrics against appropriate base comparison (prior year budget, cash flow, and other forecasts, provides in-depth analysis to prepare and present projections and deviations from plan).
- Establishes and maintains systems of internal controls to safeguard the financial assets of the organization and oversees the coordination and activities of independent auditors organization-wide. Ensures preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with GAAP, federal, and state (District of Columbia) regulations.
- Motivates and leads a small finance team; attracts, recruits, and retains staff, provides mentoring and opportunities for growth.
- Manages finance vendor, outsourcing, and auditor relationships.
- Leads organizational financial risk management efforts and works with external advisors and auditors to mitigate risks.
- Oversees and ensures the accurate and timely completion of all compliance-related filings.
- Reviews and recommends for approval all contractual agreements including leases, partner agreements, vendor agreements, funder agreements, and professional services engagements.
- Monitors organization insurance coverage and manages all claim responses as needed.
Human Resources Administration
- Oversees the day-to-day function of human resources, policies, and processes. Coordinates with SGA’s outside human resources consulting firm as appropriate.
- Manages employee benefits administration and open enrollment.
- Helps manage employee relations in coordination with the President & CEO and outside Human resources consulting firm.
- Manages human resources administration and record keeping, stays current on labor and employment best practices, compliance, laws, and regulations.
- Develops, manages, and implements SGA employment policies in coordination with the President & CEO.
- Manages annual leadership and staff training in collaboration with CEO and staff.
- Manages annual performance management and evaluation process.
- Participates in related human resources initiatives.
- Oversees information technology infrastructure for financial operations and recommends changes/enhancements.
- Manages maintenance of technology infrastructure necessary for effective and efficient financial operations.
- Manages financial systems consultants/vendors to ensure high-quality customer support, troubleshooting, and technical assistance.
- Oversees final stage of systems transition. Has a strong understanding of Intacct, BILL.com, and Concur.
- Manages SGA’s virtual filing system, in coordination with authorized SGA staff, including standardization, improvement, process protocols, server, Google drives, desktops, etc.
Board Development and Board Relations
- Together with the CEO, provides regular reports to the Board, including the Board Finance and Audit Committees, prepares documents for Board meetings, and regularly advises as necessary.
- Serves as staff representation on Board committees at the direction of the CEO.
The ideal candidate for this position will have 10+ years of progressively responsible senior-level operational leadership experience in a nonprofit organization with foundation, federal government, corporate, donor, and fee revenue streams, and a bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or relevant field required. CPA or MBA (financial management) preferred. This position requires demonstrated experience in financial strategy, planning, management, trend analysis, projections, variance, cash flows, balance sheet, payroll, auditing functions, and grants management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing & negotiating skills to develop effective long-term relationships with internal & external stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to act as an internal advisor.
- Strong integrity, ethics, and professionalism.
- Experience overseeing financial compliance and risk management.
- Ability to link financial plans to achieving organizational objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, and managing finance and operations staff, including a strong ability to delegate, train, coach, and motivate team.
- Experience managing administrative operations including HR and IT.
- Hands-on financial manager with the ability to think strategically and act tactically.
- Ability to balance attention to detail with big-picture thinking.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to employees at all levels of the organization, including non-finance managers.
- Experience successfully working with senior management to deliver strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated presentation skills with the ability to provide finance and operations updates to stakeholders.
- Collaborative management and working style with respect and appreciation for a diverse workforce.
- Strong understanding of Intacct, BILL.com, Concur, Excel, and budgeting software.
How to Apply
EHR has been retained to search for this position. Please send a letter of interest and resume to Erica Raphael, Sr. Consultant, [email protected].
Salary is commensurate with applicable experience with a range of $170,000-185,000. The successful candidate would need to have at least 10+ years of progressively responsible experience, including equivalent VP-level leadership and management skills to be considered for a salary at the top of the range. Internal equity is also a factor in determining a final salary. SGA has an entrepreneurial and innovative workplace culture where employees work collaboratively to achieve the mission with a focus on equity. SGA offers a generous employee benefits package featuring a fully paid medical plan, optional dental and vision coverage, 401k with a strong company contribution, company-paid life and disability insurance, transportation stipend, three weeks’ vacation in the first year, and 12 paid holidays.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
SGA is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.