On December 8 from 1:00pm-2:30pm EST, the American Water Works Association (AWWA) is hosting a webinar on “Sustainability and Drinking Water: Fundamentals, Applications, and Resources.” From the AWWA announcement:
In the past few years, legislative bodies, regulatory agencies, and the general public have become more aware of, and concerned about, the effects of business decisions on the surrounding environment. Some have started to call for the businesses they patronize and the services they use to be more “sustainable.” While this may be easy for some sectors to define, the definition of a sustainable drinking water utility is open to interpretation.
This webcast provides an introductory discussion of sustainability and how it is defined for the drinking water sector. As many water utilities are investigating the development of an internal sustainability program, the webcast examines the key elements of a program, providing examples of how the elements can be incorporated into existing business and operational practices. Case studies are offered of utilities that have successfully implemented sustainability plans, and resources available from AWWA are discussed.
- Define and discuss the concept of sustainability within drinking water utilities.
- Identify the major components of a sustainability program and discuss how two different water utilities prioritized the characteristics of their program.
- Understand the ideas, plans, and tools available to assist water utilities in the development and implementation of sustainability programs.
- Cynthia Lane, Regulatory Specialist, American Water Works Association
- Cheryl Welch, Strategic Planning Coordinator, Tualatin Valley Water District
- Dr. Mark LeChevallier, Director, Innovation & Environmental Stewardship; American Water
- Overview of AWWA Sustainability Initiative – history and progress update
- Utility sustainability – experiences and lessons learned
- Environmental stewardship – program development
- The Green Utility – introduction of book
- Questions from the audience
Register for the webcast here.