Foundations for Smart Growth
Is your city interested in smart growth, but not sure how to make it happen? Bring in the development experts with one of Smart Growth America’s free technical assistance workshops.
Each year Smart Growth America offers a limited number of free Foundations for Smart Growth workshops to help local leaders and residents make their communities more livable, sustainable, and vibrant. Now in its sixth year, our free technical assistance program has helped more than 70 communities grow in ways that benefit residents and businesses while protecting the environment and preserving a sense of place.
On November 22, 2016, we announced the recipient communities for our 2017 workshop series:
- The City and Borough of Sitka, AK
- The Town of Pagosa Springs, CO
- The City of Fitchburg, MA
- The City of Tulsa, OK
- The Osage Nation
- The East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
For this round of free technical assistance, applicants applied for one of the nine available tools:
- Implementing smart growth 101 >>
- Planning for economic and fiscal health >>
- Fiscal impact analysis >>
- Sustainable land use code audit >>
- Complete Streets >>
- Parking audits >>
- Cool planning: local strategies to slow climate change >>
- Using LEED-ND to accelerate the development of sustainable communities >>
- (Re)Building downtown >>
Any unit or subdivision of local government, Indian tribe, or regional government is eligible to apply for these free standard workshops. Communities may apply for more than one workshop, but must submit separate applications for each.
Missed this round of applications? Smart Growth America offers fee for service technical assistance year round.