In this issue:
- Please register for the Coalition and Lobby Day Meetings (March 20-21st) and please book your hotel room for the Coalition and Lobby Day ASAP – Deadline is Feb. 25th
- SGA Coalition Member Survey
- Call for proposals – EPA’s Smart Growth Implementation Assistance – due March 1
- Transportation for America is hosting a webinar on using MAP-21 to fund rural transportation priorities – Feb. 27th, 2013
- Save the Date! Join the Complete Streets Coalition during the American Planning Association Conference in Chicago- April 16th
- Register for the 2013 National Main Streets Conference: Main Street and the cultural economy – April 14-16, 2013
Please register for the Coalition and Lobby Day Meetings (March 20th-21st) and book your hotel room for the Coalition and Lobby Day ASAP – Deadline is Feb. 25th
The deadline for booking your hotel room is approaching – our block will close on Monday, 2/25. If you haven’t already, please call the Beacon ASAP to book your rooms. The room block is for the nights of March 19th – 21st. If you need additional nights, the Beacon will be able to accommodate you at the same price if rooms are available. To make your reservations, call the Beacon directly at (800) 821-4367 and identify yourself as attending the Smart Growth America meeting.
We’ve also put up a registration form. Please fill it out by March 1st, so we can order the correct amount of food and schedule meetings for you to meet with your Congressional members.
SGA Coalition Member Survey
Transportation for America is hosting a webinar on using MAP-21 to fund rural transportation priorities – Wednesday, February 27th at 1pm EST
Investing in a variety of transportation options — like public transportation, vanpooling, bicycling, walking and safe roads and bridges — are crucial for stronger, more resilient communities in our nation’s rural areas. It’s important to know how our new federal transportation bill (MAP-21) has changed the way communities can access transportation dollars and what these funds may be used for.
Panelists for this discussion include:
- Commissioner Kathy Rinaldi, Teton County, Idaho
- Charles W. Fluharty, President and CEO, Rural Policy Research Institute
- Chris Zeilinger, Director of Policy Development, Community Transportation Association of America
- Georgia Gann, Deputy Director of Government Affairs, Transportation for America
- John Robert Smith, President and CEO, Reconnecting America and Former Mayor of Meridian, MS (moderator)
Register for the webinar on the T4America website.
Call for proposals – EPA’s Smart Growth Implementation Assistance, due March 1
The SGIA program focuses on complex or cutting-edge issues, and projects can take about 18 months to complete. These projects explore innovative ideas to overcome barriers that are preventing communities from getting the kind of development they want. Since 2005, the SGIA program has allowed the Office of Sustainable Communities to work with a diverse array of communities from across the country on issues such as stormwater management, code revision, transit-oriented development, affordable housing, infill development, corridor planning, green building, and climate change.
This year categories include:
- Community Resilience to Disasters and Climate Change
- Redevelopment for Job Creation
- The Role of Manufactured and Modular Homes in Sustainable Neighborhood Design
- Medical and Social Services Facilities Siting
Applications are due on March 1.
Save the Date! Join the Complete Streets Coalition during the APA National Planning Conference in Chicago – April 16th
The Complete Streets Coalition is hosting a networking breakfast event during the APA National Planning Conference in Chicago on April 16th. Details for the event are still being planned, but contact Laura Searfoss for more information and to receive an invitation.
Register for the 2013 National Main Streets Conference: Main Street and the cultural economy – April 14-16, 2013
- Art Walk FUNraising in Farmington
- Creative Funding Mechanisms for “Start-Ups” and Established Small Businesses
- Finding Funding for Local Projects: What, Where, When and How?
- Historic Tax Credit Workshop
- I Hate Fundraising! Removing Anxiety and Boosting Board Participation
- Never Stop Selling…Sponsorships for Improved Profitability
- What the Heck is a CLG? And How Can It Benefit My Main Street?
Register for the conference on the Main Streets website.