Thought Leadership Highlight: Commonwealth Communities
COVID-19 has dramatically altered our sense of community and place. Massachusetts communities faced unprecedented hardships, but met them with resilience, innovation, sacrifice, and strength. During the Fall and Winter of 2021, Smart Growth America and LOCUS: Responsible Real Estate Developers and Investors hosted Commonwealth Communities: Smart Growth Strategies for Our Emergent Future. This series of five virtual symposia provided Massachusetts’ elected officials and local government staff a platform to hear from experts across the country and discuss strategies for enhancing placemaking and equity in the Commonwealth to bring health, prosperity, and resilience to their communities over the long term.
In case you missed it, check out our discussion guides that recap the event and summarize key takeaways and highlights from each session:
- October 6: Make Way for Walkability
- October 20: Cultivating a Commonwealth-Wide Small Business Ecosystem
- November 3: Planning for the future of transit and TOD in Commonwealth Communities
- November 17: Incorporating Equity in Your Municipal Budget and Practices
- December 15: Zoning Reform for Equity