Smart Growth America is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic candidate to be deputy communications director. This individual will act as SGA’s press secretary, manage offline publicity and media relations work, and author significant written communications for the organization.
The candidate must have 7-10 years experience with traditional media, strategic planning for press releases and reports, coordinating with online media staff, and promotion of regular media coverage of key issues. This individual will provide direct support to state smart growth member groups on communications work as well as develop messaging materials and articles for the national audience on a range of smart growth issues.
The Deputy Communications Director will work in the Washington, D.C. office of Smart Growth America and will report to the Chief of Staff. This is a full-time position.
Who We Are: Smart Growth America is the only national organization dedicated to researching, advocating for and leading coalitions to bring smart growth practices to more communities nationwide. From providing more sidewalks so people can walk to their town center to ensuring that more homes are built near public transit or productive farms remain a part of our communities, smart growth helps make sure that people across the nation can live in great neighborhoods.
Responsibilities: Major responsibilities for this position include:
- Manage communications strategy relevant to Smart Growth America, including report releases, advocacy alerts, and media outreach;
- Create materials for specific issues as needed, including press releases, media advisories, op-eds, blogs, and talking points;
- Set and maintain a press calendar for the organization;
- Manage media relations for SGA work on diverse topic areas including revitalization, affordable housing, water quality, real estate finance, gubernatorial policy, economic development, and others as needed;
- Coordinate offline media strategy and PR with online communications staff; and,
- Provide direct consulting support to state smart growth member groups on their communications work including drafting and editing media advisories and press releases, customizing national reports, reaching out to media outlets and providing advice on press strategy.
Qualifications: This position requires a detail-oriented person with excellent writing, oral communication, and organizational skills. The candidate should have 7-10 years experience with media relations, existing contacts with journalists in Washington DC, and be highly computer literate with specific experience in database management.
A successful applicant will have experience with the following:
- Strong writing skills and experience writing reports and blogs and creating press materials;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Commitment to smart growth, redevelopment, community development, financial responsibility or related topics;
- Strong ability to think strategically and creatively, and to create messages and materials that respond effectively to complex political issues;
- Significant experience with media relations and public relations;
Compensation: Salary will be commensurate with experience. Smart Growth America provides a generous benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How to apply: To be considered for this position, please submit application materials to [email protected]. A complete application will include: 1) resume, 2) cover letter, 3) three references, and 4) short writing sample (not to exceed four pages).
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Job is available immediately.