Smart Growth America seeks a Communications Intern to support LOCUS, a national network of smart growth real estate developers and investors. The intern will be a core member of the LOCUS team and provide direct support to the LOCUS network of real estate developers and investors advocating for smart growth policies at the federal and regional levels.
The ideal Communications Intern is an excellent writer tapped in to news about national politics and smart growth development, who can create engaging content for our members, email lists and social media networks. Applicants should be dependable team players who can perform regular duties while also offering new ideas for how to make our work even better.
The Communications Intern’s primary responsibilities include:
- Writing and publishing original content for the LOCUS blog
- Directing social media campaigns on behalf of LOCUS
- Drafting and scheduling social media post on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin
- Summarizing news stories and research to inform communications campaigns
- Gathering and analyzing campaign performance data
- Providing project-specific communications ideas and strategy for campaign and editorial content
- Design flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing material for major events hosted by LOCUS
- Tracking social media and web analytics
- Promoting our work to reporters and bloggers.
- Strong interest in smart growth or related areas
- Excellent research, writing, oral communication, and organizational skills
- Experience using Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn in a professional context
- Basic understanding of HTML or experience using content management systems (preferred)
- Interest in contributing to communications strategy
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign is a definite plus
This internship is a paid position. A monthly stipend will be provided.
Timeframe and location
This internship is part-time, and requires a minimum of 20 hours per week. The fall internship generally runs for three months. Candidate must be able to start immediately. This position is located at Smart Growth America’s offices in Washington, DC.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, and two short writing samples (no more than five pages) to locus [at] locusdevelopers [dot] org. Please include “LOCUS Communications Intern” in the email subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The position is available for an immediate start. No calls please.