Smart Growth America seeks a Policy Intern to support LOCUS, a national network of smart growth real estate developers and investors. The intern will be a core member of the LOCUS team and provide direct support to the LOCUS network of real estate developers and investors advocating for smart growth policies at the federal and regional levels.
The ideal Policy Intern is an excellent writer tapped in to news about national politics and smart growth development, who can create engaging content for our members, email lists and social media networks. This person will assist in research and analysis projects, develop materials to support LOCUS engagements and policy positions, and provide day-to-day administrative and logistical support. Applicants should be dependable team players who can perform regular duties while also offering new ideas for how to make our work even better. This position reports to Smart Growth America’s Vice President for Real Estate Policy and External Affairs, and Director of LOCUS: Responsible Real Estate Developers and Investors.
The Policy intern’s primary responsibilities include:
- Researching and contributing to case studies, tools, and reports related to real estate development, affordable housing and transit-oriented development
- Writing and publishing original content for the LOCUS blog
- Coordinating logistics to support the development and planning of events and workshops
- Tracking and analyzing news about smart growth and transportation issues
- Drafting legislative summaries for network members, drafting advocacy materials on core network issues
- Design flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing material for major events hosted by LOCUS
- Strong interest in smart growth or related areas
- Excellent research, writing, oral communication, and organizational skills
- Basic understanding of HTML or experience using content management systems (preferred)
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a definite plus.
This internship is a paid position. A monthly stipend will be provided.
Timeframe and location
This internship is part-time, and requires a minimum of 20 hours per week. The fall internship generally runs for three months. Candidate must be able to start immediately. This position is located at Smart Growth America’s offices in Washington, DC.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, and two short writing samples (no more than five pages) to locus [at] locusdevelopers [dot] org. Please include “LOCUS Policy Intern” in the email subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The position is available for an immediate start. No calls please.