Smart Growth America’s Transportation and Thriving Communities Team seeks a motivated individual interested in Complete Streets and the connection between transportation and public health. This position will contribute to the Thriving Communities team’s workshops, writing, and resource development and will report to the Director of Thriving Communities.
Are you interested in making it safer and easier for people to walk, bike, roll, and take transit to daily destinations? Do you want to work with and learn from local and state decision-makers around the country and contribute to the development of workshops, resources, and reports to support them? The Thriving Communities Program Associate will contribute to a fast-paced, collaborative team environment, supporting the work of the National Complete Streets Coalition and other cross-disciplinary work and projects for the Thriving Communities Team.
The Transportation and Thriving Communities Team leverages SGA’s multidisciplinary skill sets to support building healthier and more prosperous places for all people to thrive. This team works to provide equitable access to opportunity, build streets that are safe for everyone, expand transit service, improve health and well-being, and support local leaders and advocates seeking these outcomes. We do our work through on-the-ground technical assistance as well as reports, research and analysis. The Transportation and Thriving Communities Team includes the National Complete Streets Coalition, Transportation for America and an Arts & Placemaking program.
- Workshop coordination: Manages the logistics for technical assistance projects or workshops. This involves managing the schedule, coordinating with the technical assistance instructors, overseeing the invoicing, and collaborating with the client on setting the dates, venue, and other logistics for any workshops.
- Technical assistance: Supports the development of tools to support technical assistance efforts such as building presentations, developing worksheets, creating informational documents, and other resources as needed on an interdisciplinary basis for activities across the Thriving Communities Team.
- Research and writing: Contributes research and content to the Coalition’s signature reports and resources, such as Dangerous by Design and the Best Complete Streets Policies reports; drafts blog posts; and assists with the writing and editing of grant proposals and reports.
- Advocacy: prepares content to promote advocacy efforts through SGA blogs and prepares educational materials for the Coalition and Thriving Community Team’s advocacy work.
- Project management: supports senior staff in project management, helping with scheduling, event logistics, invoicing, presentations, and tracking as needed.
- Event management: coordinates the implementation of the Coalition’s events and meetings as needed.
Knowledge, skills, and experience
- 1-3 years of work experience in transportation policy, urban planning, Complete Streets, public health and the built environment, or related topics;
- Excellent time management and organization skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Excellent research and verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with effectively with a variety of audiences;
- Comfort working in a collaborative team environment, with strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to track and complete tasks on time across multiple projects or programs with limited supervision.
- A degree in public policy, transportation, planning, health, or a related field;
- A working understanding of the connection between transportation and growth patterns, housing and other infrastructure investments as well as impact on equitable access to economic opportunity, safety, climate, public health and public spending;
- Experience coordinating or supporting technical assistance, workshops, or events;
- Experience working on issues of equity in transportation policy.
Salary commensurate with experience and will range $45,000-$55,000 a year. This is a full-time position with benefits, including health insurance, 401k, and paid vacation and sick leave.
Office schedule and COVID protocols
This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Direct of Thriving Communities. SGA staff are currently working in the office at 1152 15th Street NW, Washington DC once a week, while generally working remotely the rest of the week due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be adding more in person days in the near future but expect that work will remain hybrid into the long term. The specifics of that hybrid environment are currently being determined.
SGA requires employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. Other COVID protocols include social distancing for meetings and masks are encouraged, though not required.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Thriving Communities Program Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate how you’ve learned of this opportunity. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Smart Growth America and Transportation for America are committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Smart Growth America is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.