Smart Growth America is seeking a qualified consultant to manage the layout and visual design for both a physical report and supporting digital presence detailing the findings from Smart Growth America’s work designing and supporting artist-in-residence programs at state departments of transportation and a virtual convening of transportation artists-in-residence. Proposals should be sent to Marian Liou, Director of Arts & Culture, at [email protected] by Thursday, November 30, 2023.
The contract will begin immediately and continue through January 5, 2024. The report is scheduled for release in early to mid-January 2024.
In 2019, Transportation for America, a program of Smart Growth America, created and began managing two pilot artist-in-residence programs at the Washington State and Minnesota Departments of Transportation. These first-of-its-kind programs at a state agency concluded in the summer of 2023 and culminated in a virtual convening of transportation artists in residence in August 2023 facilitated by the Cross-Sector Artists in Residence Lab (CAIR Lab). This report details the findings gathered over the course of the residencies and during the virtual convening. The final product will be a roughly 15-page report, with opportunities to create separate graphics to be used on the report and across SGA’s social programs.
This project is slated for release in early to mid-January and design work will be underway ASAP.
Scope of Work
The scope is focused on the following key areas:
- Laying out the text of the report with provided images and infographics in organizational style
- Creating several original graphics that will help to share the project’s findings visually
Our budget for this project is up to $3,000. Cost will be considered as part of the assessment of proposals.
SGA is seeking a diverse pool of candidates. Black, Indigenous, and people of color-led and women-owned companies are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants will be selected based on the following desired criteria:
- A proven track record with graphic design, specifically related to
- Collaboratively producing and laying out written reports with strong visuals
- Creating graphics from scratch, infographics, visuals, etc.
- A strong visual style, with examples of powerful visual storytelling and clearly organizing complex information about policy in ways that are clear and direct.
- Experience with producing reports that sync up with an organization’s established visual styles and brand.
- Ability to work on a tight turnaround.
Interested applicants should submit in an email to Marian Liou, Director of Arts & Culture, at [email protected] by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, November 30, 2023, the following information:
- A brief letter of interest describing your experience with similar work, your capabilities
- Examples of past graphic design projects
- A detailed proposal. Include estimated hours but also your hourly rate for any additional work on graphics
- List of references
- Key staff
About Smart Growth America
Smart Growth America (SGA) is a national non-profit organization that is dedicated to advancing equitable, sustainable land use, development, and transportation. The organization empowers communities through technical assistance, advocacy, and thought leadership to create livable places, healthy people, and shared prosperity. We work with elected officials at all levels, real estate developers, chambers of commerce, transportation, and urban planning professionals, and residents to improve everyday life for people across the country through better development.
The SGA Arts and Culture program advances racial equity and climate justice within Smart Growth through cross-sector cultural organizing and power-building within communities of color most harmed by transportation and land use systems and disproportionately impacted by climate change and cultural displacement.