Subscribe to updates from SGA
More options available on our subscribe page.
Upcoming public events - join us!
Arts and Transportation Rapid Response 2.0
In partnership with Forecast Public Art and with funding from the Kresge Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts, Smart Growth America (SGA) launched the Arts & Transportation Rapid Response initiative during the summer of 2020 right after the onset of the world’s worst pandemic in more than a generation. SGA selected five agencies in the Bay Area, CA, Oakland, CA, Las Vegas, NV, west central Minnesota, and Detroit, MI who partnered with local artists committed to addressing COVID-related transportation challenges and systemic inequities in a unique and creative way.
With tremendous support and energy for the second round of this initiative, SGA opened a call for proposals and selected the following agencies:
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority—MARTA (Atlanta, GA)
- The Port Authority of Allegheny County (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Quaboag Valley Community Development Corporation—QVCDC (Ware, MA)
SGA and Forecast curated three artists to partner with these agencies, who were selected through a nationwide open call for artists, conversations with local arts nonprofits and arts councils, and the review of artists’ portfolios. The selected artists included:
- Franco Bejarano for Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
- Janel Young for the Port Authority of Allegheny County
- Rochelle Schicoff for Quaboag Valley Community Development Corporation
You can read the full stories also on our Scenic Route website at transportation.art.
The Arts + Transportation Rapid Response initiative was conducted in partnership with Forecast Public Art and with funding from the Kresge Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.