The economic benefits of smart growth are broad and deep. The experience of communities across the country, urban to rural, shows that smart growth directly reduces public costs, improves rates of return for public and private investors, and avoids the expensive environmental, health and social equity costs of sprawl.
This overwhelming evidence is only helpful if we can put it to work when we need it. The goal of this Sourcebook is to help you do that.
What is here:
- Research findings, case studies, quotes and images that support the argument that smart growth is the most effective fiscal and economic development policy available.
- A framework for organizing the long list of economic arguments for smart growth.
- References to multiple sources that you may choose to explore in depth.
What is not here:
- A stand-alone presentation. If you are using this to create a Powerpoint, we strongly recommend that you create your own presentation to frame the argument for your intended audience, and refer to the sourcebook to add the most relevant supporting information.
- Information that has come out since August, 2010 and information for which we could find no source. Note that relevant findings and case studies are coming out every day.
- Information we didn’t find. If you know of something good we missed, let us know! In particular, we could use (many) more examples from individual communities.
A tool like this is inherently limited: new findings emerge every day. Researchers and policy makers continue to ask questions about the economic returns to smart growth policies and the field is growing. The Sourcebook includes many of the classic studies supporting smart growth, but we hope you will help us expand and refine it as we learn more.
Download the Sourcebook
Click here to download the Table of Contents (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Saves: Master Overview” (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Saves: Costs of Abandoned and Vacant Properties” (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Saves: Combined Costs of Transportation and Housing” (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Saves: Reducing Health Care Costs” (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Saves: Case Studies” (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Makes: Master Overview” (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Makes: Transit Oriented Development” (PDF)
Click here to download “Smart Growth Makes: Case Studies” (PDF)
Learn more about the Sourcebook and how you can use it