On Monday the Department of Transportation (DOT) announced the availability of $474 million in Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grants for 2013.
DOT is looking for surface transportation projects that will have a significant impact on the nation, a region, or a metropolitan area and projects, such as:
- Improve existing transportation facilities and systems;
- Contribute to American economic competitiveness;
- Create and preserve jobs;
- Increase transportation choices and access to transportation services for people in communities across the U.S.;
- Improve energy efficiency, reduce dependence on oil, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and
- Improve safety.