Transportation for America (T4America) – a program of Smart Growth America – is seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual with deep knowledge, experience and interest in transportation policy development and state or local level implementation to help lead the organization’s policy work.
This high profile position reports to the Director of T4America and works in close partnership with the Outreach Director and Communications Director.
Candidates must demonstrate an ability to work successfully with limited supervision, independently and within a team. The policy director must also help deliver motivated and credible local leaders armed with the right research and proposals to advance a winning policy agenda. The policy director will continue our success in developing policies in close cooperation with our national and local civic, elected, business and non-profit partners, backing them up with research, and mobilizing diverse and compelling voices.
- Manage policy-related activities in partnership with targeted constituent groups both in DC and on the state level in other locations;
- Lead our transportation policy development, analysis and implementation efforts at multiple levels of government;
- Supervise the work product of a high-functioning policy team, which includes content creation, tracking legislation and project management;
- Develop tactics and strategy for a number of distinct policy initiatives working closely with T4A’s Outreach and Communications teams;
- Work with our partner cities across the U.S. to help them prepare policies for emerging new technological innovations in mobility from ridesharing to car-sharing to data platforms;
- Build the capacity of our partners to engage with state and federal leaders on our policy agenda;
- In select states, work with local partners working to promote progressive transportation policies and transportation funding efforts.
Special knowledge and skills
- Minimum of five years experience working in the transportation arena or a closely related policy field;
- Knowledge of the legislative process at multiple levels of government, as well as the ability to think strategically and work across party lines;
- Staff management and project management skills and experience;
- Excellent time management and organization, research skills, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to strategically prioritize their workload and complete multiple tasks and high volume of work;
- Excellent written/verbal skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Comfortable with working in a collaborative team environment;
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals;
- The candidate must have good interpersonal skills, and be able to work independently with minimal supervision; and,
- Must be proficient with the Microsoft Office suite and comfortable working with OSX and iOS.
- Experience working within a state or local transportation agency at the local, MPO or state level;
- An advanced degree in public policy, political science, planning or other related field is required;
- Previous experience in local, state and federal policy as it relates to our subject matter; and,
- Experience working with diverse populations.
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes benefits. The position is full-time, based in Washington, DC and available starting immediately. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “T4America Policy Director” in the subject line. For more information about us please visit our website: www.t4america.org.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Transportation for America and Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.